Senior Application Chemist
Technology - USA Charlotte, NC
Responsible for undertaking customer initiated (« tactical ») and internally-generated (« strategic »)
Application projects, aimed both at supporting the development and commercialization of new products and technologies and at optimizing existing product offerings for specific market sectors, as applicable to Energy curing resins. Experience with UV-curable formulations experience in the industrial/wood coating segments would be preferable. This role supports the introduction of new products to customers. Development of institutional knowledge of chemical structure and applications performance for product promotion and development feedback. Position must
constructively interact with technical marketing, technical service, and the commercial sales teams, principally in North America, but also in Asia, Europe and Brazil to provide technical support and facilitate productive feedback to customers. Capable of developing and executing joint projects with applications teams in the other regions. Under guidance, visits customer facilities to attend trial runs of new formulated products, troubleshoot formulated products in-line, and to make formal presentations to customers.
POSITION IN THE ORGANIZATION
The Senior Application Chemist reports to the Technology Manager.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Proposes and executes applications development projects and can work with marketing and product development management to contribute to a business justification for said projects.
- Apply characterization and application testing methods to finished product and formulated materials in support of product development.
- Develop optimized starting point formulations to promote existing products in selected market sectors
- Create lab scale formulation blends and analyse as part of new product evaluations and customer requested support of existing.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, to convey test results and findings to both internal and external customers.
- Co-ordinate and oversee routine maintenance and calibration of Application equipment.
- Recommends and develops capex projects for new applications equipment.
- Conducts prior art searches before commencing projects, as appropriate.
- Identifies patentable aspects of his/her work and drafts invention disclosures for review by senior technology management.
- Support Production and Pilot Plant for troubleshooting or product improvement testing.
- Maintain a clean and orderly workplace through 5S discipline.
- Promotes health, safety, and environmental regulations by ensuring that standards, policies, and procedures are adhered to in compliance with corporate, federal, state, and local requirements.
- Follow good laboratory practice in the maintenance of laboratory notebooks, technology/formulation databases, formula cards, and technical graphs, tables, and reports.
- Writes Charlotte Work Request response reports and other internal reports to promote the development of IGM products.
- Research and development of new Application test methods applicable to new development and existing products to permit sales promotion into existing and new market sectors.
- Review, revise, or develop new SOP's to ensure compliance with the Quality Management System.
- Liaise with teams at other IGM facilities to exchange ideas, methodologies and results, maximize the usage of equipment and build synergistic applications and data sets.
- Ensures his/her product offerings meet with the appropriate compliance regulations for the regions in which said products are to be marketed, via liaison with the Regulatory function.
- Advises production on the scale-up and manufacture of blended products.
- Train and supervise new employees or co-workers as required.
- All other possible occurring tasks or responsibilities.
- Work in accordance with company rules and regulations.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Replaces by absence: Other Sr. Application Chemist or Technology Manager
- Is on moments of absence replaced by: Other Sr. Application Chemist or Applications chemist
- Technology Manager
- R & D and applications Chemists in all regions
- Technical service in all regions
- Technical marketing
- Product management
- Quality Control team members
- Pilot Plant Operator
- Equipment manufacturers
- Raw material suppliers
Education and experience
- PhD (preferably) or MS in Chemistry, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, or related discipline required
- 5+ years of experience in product formulations in coatings/adhesives.
- Competence with statistical experimental design.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to articulate new project justifications. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Develops and coordinates action plans, experiments, and completing projects on time and within budget. Ability to exercise discretion while managing confidential information. Competence with MS Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel) necessary. Familiarity with Office 365 (SharePoint and Teams) desirable.
To submit your resume or for more information about this vacancy, please contact our Human Resource department.