The candidate is expected to develop and optimize synthetic processes for functionally diverse acrylate resins and thoroughly characterize them using instrumental methods such as GPC/HPLC/GC. Record such work regularly and routinely for substantiation of efforts, performance & potential IP opportunities. Literature and patent searches are expected to be done for appropriate identification of IP opportunities. Assisting in pilot scale transition of products developed in the laboratory. Ability to work in a cross-functional project structure is a must. Any other responsibilities that may be assigned due to business need.
POSITION IN THE ORGANIZATION
The R & D Chemist reports to the Technology Manager, Acrylates
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Synthesize & characterize acrylate monomers with functional linkages using available methods that are appropriate in an industrial environment.
- Create documents for scale up from lab scale to pilot production.
- Work with the QC team to implement characterization of the made compounds using existing or newer methods.
- Characterize using HPLC/GPC/GC & interpret data for proper identification of product.
- Identify potential IP opportunities and write up invention disclosures as and when necessary.
- Literature & patent searches to identify & document new IP related opportunities.
- Maintain a laboratory notebook to ACS standards
- All other possible occurring tasks or responsibilities;
- Work in accordance with company rules, HS&E protocols and regulations;
- Perform other duties as requested.
Is on moments of absence replaced by:
- R & D Team Member
- Technology Manager
- VP of Innovation & Technology
- Quality Control team members
- Process Improvement Engineer
- Regulatory specialist
- EHS Manager
- Pilot plant operators
Education and experience
- Minimum BS (Master’s preferred; bonus level PhD) in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Polymer Chemistry with 5 plus years of synthetic/scale-up experience in a fine chemicals industry.
- Scale-up experience from lab to pilot would be preferable.
- Some specialization in organic chemistry or process controls would be a plus.
- Ability to work independently, but in a team setting, by following standard best practices and procedures while at the same time not shying away from taking guidance from senior team members and the technical manager to execute the task in a timely manner.
Customer Focus, Results Orientation, Building Productive Relationships, Continuous Improvement, Clear Communication, Decision Making, Planning, Organizing & Executing Technical/Professional Knowledge and Skills. Proactively safety-conscious.
IGM Resins offers a very diverse and challenging role, in a highly dynamic and global organization. In addition to that we offer you an attractive salary and other employee benefits, as well as good career opportunities.
To submit your resume or for more information about this vacancy, please contact Careers.North-America@igmresins.com .